Monday, August 17, 2009

One Handsome Mop


This morning after I got the kids off to school, I sat sipping a cup of coffee and looked around at all that I needed to get done. I popped in one of my Frank Sinatra CD's and started to work.

First, I loaded up some laundry, then the dishwasher, and then wiped off the counters. I then headed to the garage for the bucket I use to clean the floor and grabbed the mop hanging behind the door on the way back inside.
As I started mopping the kitchen, I found myself swaying back and forth to the orchestrated brass instruments that perfectly matched every note of Mr. Sinatras voice. A wrung out mop as my partner and dressed in a tank top and boxer shorts, I swayed and twirled across the kitchen floor. I closed my eyes. The kitchen was now a beautiful dance floor and the upside down mop, a debonair gentleman. We danced.
After several songs, I realized it was taking me much too long to get this kitchen done. After all, I still had the two bathrooms to do also. I flipped the mop back over and proceeded to get back to work. A brief pause in between songs allowed me to refocus on my task. With a sudden blast of a trombone and several trumpets -Same Old Saturday Night- 'Oh how I love this song!'. I couldn't resist the urge. Equipped with a perfectly good microphone, I began to sing and perform with one of my all time favorites. With a dramatic and abrupt ending, our duet was over. It was then I realized something...I had mopped myself right into the corner.
Oh Well. Now when I look at the foot prints across the floor, I will remember the great morning I had with Frank and My Handsome Mop.

2 comments:

  1. man you are really funny, can i mention you on one of my blogs for a plug you need to be read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! My girls and I love your blog.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

counter